Operates commercial-scale production equipment to produce, test, or modify materials, devices, or systems of molecular or macromolecular composition. Works under the supervision of engineering staff.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Operates nanotechnology compounding, testing, processing, or production equipment in accordance with appropriate standard operating procedures, good manufacturing practices, hazardous material restrictions, or health and safety requirements.
- Maintains work area according to cleanroom or other processing standards.
- Repairs nanotechnology processing or testing equipment or submits work orders for equipment repair.
- Measures or mixes chemicals or compounds in accordance with detailed instructions or formulas.
- Monitors equipment during operation to ensure adherence to specifications for characteristics such as pressure, temperature, or flow.
- Records nanotechnology test results in logs, laboratory notebooks, or spreadsheet software.
- Calibrates nanotechnology equipment, such as weighing, testing, or production equipment.
- Assists nanoscientists, engineers, or technologists in processing or characterizing materials according to physical or chemical properties.
- Produces detailed images or measurement of objects, using tools such as scanning tunneling microscopes or oscilloscopes.
- Performs functional tests of nano-enhanced assemblies, components, or systems, using equipment such as torque gauges or conductivity meters.