Operates machines to build tires.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Depresses pedals to rotate drums, and winds specified numbers of plies around drums to form tire bodies.
- Starts rollers that bond tread and plies as drums revolve.
- Activates bead setters that press prefabricated beads onto plies.
- Cuts plies at splice points, and presses ends together to form continuous bands.
- Inspects worn tires for faults, cracks, cuts and nail holes, and to determine if tires are suitable for retreading.
- Aligns treads with guides, starts drums to wind treads onto plies, and slices ends.
- Positions rollers that turn ply edges under and over beads, or uses steel rods to turn ply edges.
- Positions ply stitcher rollers and drums according to width of stock, using hand tools and gauges.
- Builds semi-raw rubber treads onto buffed tire casings to prepare tires for vulcanization in recapping or retreading processes.
- Winds chafers and breakers onto plies.