Builds, installs, tests, or maintains optical or fiber optic equipment, such as lasers, lenses, or mirrors, using spectrometers, interferometers, or related equipment.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Maintains clean working environments, according to clean room standards.
- Computes or records photonic test data.
- Adjusts or maintains equipment, such as lasers, laser systems, microscopes, oscilloscopes, pulse generators, power meters, beam analyzers, or energy measurement devices.
- Sets up or operates assembly or processing equipment, such as lasers, cameras, die bonders, wire bonders, dispensers, reflow ovens, soldering irons, die shears, wire pull testers, temperature or humidity chambers, or optical spectrum analyzers.
- Documents procedures, such as calibration of optical or fiber optic equipment.
- Performs diagnostic analyses of processing steps, using analytical or metrological tools, such as microscopy, profilometry, or ellipsometry devices.
- Assists engineers in the development of new products, fixtures, tools, or processes.
- Mixes, pours, or uses processing chemicals or gases according to safety standards or established operating procedures.
- Assists scientists or engineers in the conduct of photonic experiments.
- Assembles fiber optical, optoelectronic, or free-space optics components, subcomponents, assemblies, or subassemblies.