Purchases machinery, equipment, tools, parts, supplies, or services necessary for the operation of an establishment. Purchases raw or semi-finished materials for manufacturing.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors and follows applicable laws and regulations.
- Prepares purchase orders, solicits bid proposals, and reviews requisitions for goods and services.
- Negotiates, renegotiates, and administers contracts with suppliers, vendors, and other representatives.
- Purchases the highest quality merchandise at the lowest possible price and in correct amounts.
- Analyzes price proposals, financial reports, and other data and information to determine reasonable prices.
- Formulates policies and procedures for bid proposals and procurement of goods and services.
- Maintains and reviews computerized or manual records of purchased items, costs, deliveries, product performance, and inventories.
- Researches and evaluates suppliers, based on price, quality, selection, service, support, availability, reliability, production and distribution capabilities, and the supplier's reputation and history.
- Confers with staff, users, and vendors to discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services and determines corrective action.
- Hires, trains, or supervises purchasing clerks, buyers, and expediters.