Performs precision smoothing, sharpening, polishing, or grinding of metal objects.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors machine operations to determine whether adjustments are necessary, stopping machines when problems occur.
- Inspects, feels, and measures workpieces to ensure that surfaces and dimensions meet specifications.
- Studies blueprints or layouts of metal workpieces to determine grinding procedures, and to plan machine setups and operational sequences.
- Selects and mounts grinding wheels on machines, according to specifications, using hand tools and applying knowledge of abrasives and grinding procedures.
- Computes numbers, widths, and angles of cutting tools, micrometers, scales, and gauges, and adjusts tools to produce specified cuts.
- Turns valves to direct flow of coolant against cutting wheels and workpieces during grinding.
- Sets up and operates grinding or polishing machines to grind metal workpieces, such as dies, parts, and tools.
- Dresses grinding wheels, according to specifications.
- Files or finishes surfaces of workpieces, using prescribed hand tools.
- Performs basic maintenance, such as cleaning and lubricating machine parts.