Operates or tends furnaces, such as gas, oil, coal, electric-arc or electric induction, open-hearth, or oxygen furnaces, to melt and refine metal before casting or to produce specified types of steel.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Regulates supplies of fuel and air, or controls flow of electric current and water coolant to heat furnaces and adjust temperatures.
- Draws smelted metal samples from furnaces or kettles for analysis, and calculates types and amounts of materials needed to ensure that materials meet specifications.
- Weighs materials to be charged into furnaces, using scales.
- Records production data, and maintains production logs.
- Observes air and temperature gauges or metal color and fluidity, and turns fuel valves or adjusts controls to maintain required temperatures.
- Operates controls to move or discharge metal workpieces from furnaces.
- Inspects furnaces and equipment to locate defects and wear.
- Drains, transfers, or removes molten metal from furnaces, and places it into molds, using hoists, pumps, or ladles.
- Kindles fires, and shovels fuel and other materials into furnaces or onto conveyors by hand, with hoists, or by directing crane operators.
- Prepares material to load into furnaces, including cleaning, crushing, or applying chemicals, by using crushing machines, shovels, rakes, or sprayers.