Prepares and sorts materials or products for recycling. Identifies and removes hazardous substances. Dismantles components of products such as appliances.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Sorts materials, such as metals, glass, wood, paper or plastics, into appropriate containers for recycling.
- Cleans recycling yard by sweeping, raking, picking up broken glass and loose paper debris, or moving barrels and bins.
- Operates forklifts, pallet jacks, power lifts, or front-end loaders to load bales, bundles, or other heavy items onto trucks for shipping to smelters or other recycled materials processing facilities.
- Sorts metals to separate high-grade metals, such as copper, brass, and aluminum, for recycling.
- Cleans, inspects, or lubricates recyclable collection equipment or performs routine maintenance or minor repairs on recycling equipment, such as star gears, finger sorters, destoners, belts, and grinders.
- Operates shredders to reclaim steel from discarded appliances.
- Collects and sorts recyclable construction materials, such as concrete, drywall, plastics, or wood, into containers.
- Extracts chemicals from discarded appliances, such as air conditioners or refrigerators, using specialized machinery, such as refrigerant recovery equipment.
- Deposits recoverable materials into chutes or places materials on conveyor belts.
- Operates balers to compress recyclable materials into bundles or bales.