Sets up, operates, or tends machines that cut or slice materials, such as glass, stone, cork, rubber, tobacco, food, paper, or insulating material.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Sets up, operates, or tends machines that cut or slice materials, such as glass, stone, cork, rubber, tobacco, food, paper, or insulating material.
- Reviews work orders, blueprints, specifications, or job samples to determine components, settings, and adjustments for cutting and slicing machines.
- Examines, measures, and weighs materials or products to verify conformance to specifications, using measuring devices, such as rulers, micrometers, or scales.
- Presses buttons, pulls levers, or depresses pedals to start and operate cutting and slicing machines.
- Starts machines to verify setups, and makes any necessary adjustments.
- Feeds stock into cutting machines, onto conveyors, or under cutting blades, by threading, guiding, pushing, or turning handwheels.
- Stacks and sorts cut material for packaging, further processing, or shipping, according to types and sizes of material.
- Monitors operation of cutting or slicing machines to detect malfunctions or to determine whether supplies need replenishment.
- Adjusts machine controls to alter position, alignment, speed, or pressure.
- Removes completed materials or products from cutting or slicing machines, and stacks or stores them for additional processing.