Operates or tends cooking equipment, such as steam cooking vats, deep fry cookers, pressure cookers, kettles, and boilers, to prepare food products.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tends or operates and controls equipment, such as kettles, cookers, vats and tanks, and boilers, to cook ingredients or prepare products for further processing.
- Sets temperature, pressure, and time controls, and starts conveyers, machines, or pumps.
- Cleans, washes, and sterilizes equipment and cooking area, using water hoses, cleaning or sterilizing solutions, or rinses.
- Observes gauges, dials, and product characteristics, and adjusts controls to maintain appropriate temperature, pressure, and flow of ingredients.
- Listens for malfunction alarms, and shuts down equipment and notifies supervisors when necessary.
- Removes cooked material or products from equipment.
- Turns valves or starts pumps to add ingredients or drain products from equipment and to transfer products for storage, cooling, or further processing.
- Measures or weighs ingredients, using scales or measuring containers.
- Reads work orders, recipes, or formulas to determine cooking times and temperatures, and ingredient specifications.
- Collects and examines product samples during production to test them for quality, color, content, consistency, viscosity, acidity, or specific gravity.