Works in slaughtering, meat packing, or wholesale establishments performing precision functions involving the preparation of meat. Work may include specialized slaughtering tasks, cutting standard or premium cuts of meat for marketing, making sausage, or wrapping meats.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Removes bones, and cuts meat into standard cuts in preparation for marketing.
- Severs jugular veins to drain blood and facilitate slaughtering.
- Tends assembly lines, performing a few of the many cuts needed to process a carcass.
- Shackles hind legs of animals to raise them for slaughtering or skinning.
- Slits open, eviscerates, and trims carcasses of slaughtered animals.
- Stuns animals prior to slaughtering.
- Skins sections of animals or whole animals.
- Cuts, trims, skins, sorts, and washes viscera of slaughtered animals to separate edible portions from offal.
- Shaves or singes and defeathers carcasses, and washes them in preparation for further processing or packaging.
- Saws, splits, or scribes carcasses into smaller portions to facilitate handling.