Sets up, operates, or tends plating or coating machines to coat metal or plastic products with chromium, zinc, copper, cadmium, nickel, or other metal to protect or decorate surfaces. Includes electrolytic processes.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Immerses workpieces in coating solutions or liquid metal or plastic for specified times.
- Adjusts dials to regulate flow of current and voltage supplied to terminals to control plating processes.
- Inspects coated or plated areas for defects, such as air bubbles or uneven coverage.
- Sets up, operates, or tends plating or coating machines to coat metal or plastic products with chromium, zinc, copper, cadmium, nickel, or other metal to protect or decorate surfaces.
- Maintains production records.
- Observes gauges to ensure that machines are operating properly, making adjustments or stopping machines when problems occur.
- Removes objects from solutions at periodic intervals and observes objects to verify conformance to specifications.
- Removes excess materials or impurities from objects, using air hoses or grinding machines.
- Examines completed objects to determine thicknesses of metal deposits, or measures thicknesses by using instruments such as micrometers.
- Rinses coated objects in cleansing liquids and dries them with cloths, centrifugal driers, or by tumbling in sawdust-filled barrels.