Repairs percussion, stringed, reed, or wind instruments. May specialize in one area, such as piano tuning.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Maintenance, Installation and Repair pathway.
A person in this career:
- Plays instruments to evaluate their sound quality and to locate any defects.
- Adjusts string tensions to tune instruments, using hand tools and electronic tuning devices.
- Reassembles instruments following repair, using hand tools and power tools and glue, hair, yarn, resin, or clamps, and lubricates instruments as necessary.
- Disassembles instruments and parts for repair and adjustment.
- Repairs or replaces musical instrument parts and components, such as strings, bridges, felts, and keys, using hand and power tools.
- Inspects instruments to locate defects, and to determine their value or the level of restoration required.
- Compares instrument pitches with tuning tool pitches to tune instruments.
- Strings instruments, and adjusts trusses and bridges of instruments to obtain specified string tensions and heights.
- Polishes instruments, using rags and polishing compounds, buffing wheels, or burnishing tools.
- Repairs cracks in wood or metal instruments, using pinning wire, lathes, fillers, clamps, or soldering irons.