Coordinates and expedites the flow of work and materials within or between departments of an establishment according to production schedule. Duties include reviewing and distributing production, work, and shipment schedules; conferring with department supervisors to determine progress of work and completion dates; and compiling reports on progress of work, inventory levels, costs, and production problems.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Quality Assurance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Distributes production schedules or work orders to departments.
- Reviews documents, such as production schedules, work orders, or staffing tables, to determine personnel or materials requirements or material priorities.
- Requisitions and maintains inventories of materials or supplies necessary to meet production demands.
- Arranges for delivery, assembly, or distribution of supplies or parts to expedite flow of materials and meet production schedules.
- Confers with department supervisors or other personnel to assess progress and discuss needed changes.
- Revises production schedules when required due to design changes, labor or material shortages, backlogs, or other interruptions, collaborating with management, marketing, sales, production, or engineering.
- Confers with establishment personnel, vendors, or customers to coordinate production or shipping activities and to resolve complaints or eliminate delays.
- Examines documents, materials, or products and monitors work processes to assess completeness, accuracy, and conformance to standards and specifications.
- Records production data, including volume produced, consumption of raw materials, or quality control measures.
- Calculates figures, such as required amounts of labor or materials, manufacturing costs, or wages, using pricing schedules, adding machines, calculators, or computers.