Repairs and opens locks; makes keys; changes locks and safe combinations; and installs and repairs safes.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Maintenance, Installation and Repair pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cuts new or duplicate keys, using key cutting machines.
- Cuts new or duplicate keys, using impressions or code key machines.
- Disassembles mechanical or electrical locking devices, and repairs or replaces worn tumblers, springs, and other parts, using hand tools.
- Keeps records of company locks and keys.
- Sets up and maintains master key systems.
- Inserts new or repaired tumblers into locks to change combinations.
- Installs door hardware, such as locks and closers.
- Opens safe locks by drilling.
- Moves picklocks in cylinders to open door locks without keys.
- Installs alarm and electronic access systems.