Sets up, operates, or tends machines that cut textiles.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Places patterns on top of layers of fabric and cuts fabric following patterns, using electric or manual knives, cutters, or computer numerically controlled cutting devices.
- Notifies supervisors of mechanical malfunctions.
- Repairs or replaces worn or defective parts or components, using hand tools.
- Adjusts cutting techniques to types of fabrics and styles of garments.
- Inspects machinery to determine whether repairs are needed.
- Adjusts machine controls, such as heating mechanisms, tensions, or speeds, to produce specified products.
- Inspects products to ensure that specifications are met and to determine whether machines require adjustment.
- Confers with coworkers to obtain information about orders, processes, or problems.
- Starts machines, monitors operations, and makes adjustments as needed.
- Cleans, oils, and lubricates machines, using air hoses, cleaning solutions, rags, oilcans, and grease guns.