Operates or tends machines to wash or clean products, such as barrels or kegs, glass items, tin plate, food, pulp, coal, plastic, or rubber, to remove impurities.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Adds specified amounts of chemicals to equipment at required times to maintain solution levels and concentrations.
- Observes machine operations, gauges, or thermometers, and adjusts controls to maintain specified conditions.
- Sets controls to regulate temperature and length of cycles, and starts conveyors, pumps, agitators, and machines.
- Drains, cleans, and refills machines or tanks at designated intervals, using cleaning solutions or water.
- Operates or tends machines to wash and remove impurities from items such as barrels or kegs, glass products, tin plate surfaces, dried fruit, pulp, animal stock, coal, manufactured articles, plastic, or rubber.
- Records gauge readings, materials used, processing times, or tests results in production logs.
- Examines and inspects machines to detect malfunctions.
- Measures, weighs, or mixes cleaning solutions, using measuring tanks, calibrated rods or suction tubes.
- Draws samples for laboratory analysis, or tests solutions for conformance to specifications, such as acidity or specific gravity.
- Adjusts, cleans, and lubricates mechanical parts of machines, using hand tools and grease guns.