Constructs, assembles, or rebuilds machines, such as engines, turbines, and similar equipment used in such industries as construction, extraction, textiles, and paper manufacturing.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reads and interprets assembly blueprints or specifications manuals and plans assembly or building operations.
- Inspects, operates, and tests completed products to verify functioning, machine capabilities, or conformance to customer specifications.
- Positions or aligns components for assembly, manually or using hoists.
- Sets and verifies parts clearances.
- Verifies conformance of parts to stock lists or blueprints, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, gauges, or micrometers.
- Fastens or installs piping, fixtures, or wiring and electrical components to form assemblies or subassemblies, using hand tools, rivet guns, or welding equipment.
- Removes rough spots and smooths surfaces to fit, trim, or clean parts, using hand tools or power tools.
- Lays out and drills, reams, taps, or cuts parts for assembly.
- Reworks, repairs, or replaces damaged parts or assemblies.
- Sets up and operates metalworking machines, such as milling or grinding machines, to shape or fabricate parts.