Assists electrical engineers in such activities as process control, electrical power distribution, or instrumentation design. May prepare layouts of electrical transmission or distribution systems, supervise the flow of work, estimate project costs, or participate in research studies.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Diagnoses, tests, or analyzes the performance of electrical components, assemblies, or systems.
- Reviews electrical engineering plans to ensure adherence to design specifications and compliance with applicable electrical codes and standards.
- Calculates design specifications or cost, material, and resource estimates, and prepares project schedules and budgets.
- Compiles and maintains records documenting engineering schematics, installed equipment, installation or operational problems, resources used, repairs, or corrective action performed.
- Sets up and operates standard or specialized testing equipment.
- Reviews installation or quality assurance documentation.
- Participates in training or continuing education activities to stay abreast of engineering or industry advances.
- Reviews, develops, and prepares maintenance standards.
- Installs or maintains electrical control systems, industrial automation systems, or electrical equipment, including control circuits, variable speed drives, or programmable logic controllers.
- Designs or modifies engineering schematics for electrical transmission and distribution systems or for electrical installation in residential, commercial, or industrial buildings, using computer-aided design (CAD) software.