Performs a variety of duties such as mixing materials, assembling mold parts, filling molds, and stacking molds to mold and cast a wide range of products.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reads work orders or examines parts to determine parts or sections of products to be produced.
- Trims or removes excess material, using scrapers, knives, or band saws.
- Pours, packs, spreads, or presses plaster, concrete, liquid plastic, or other materials into or around models or molds.
- Engraves or stamps identifying symbols, letters, or numbers on products.
- Brushes or sprays mold surfaces with parting agents or inserts paper into molds to ensure smoothness and prevent sticking or seepage.
- Assembles, inserts, and adjusts wires, tubes, cores, fittings, rods, or patterns into molds, using hand tools and depth gauges.
- Cleans, finishes, and lubricates molds and mold parts.
- Separates models or patterns from molds and examines products for accuracy.
- Sets the proper operating temperature for each casting.
- Loads or stacks filled molds in ovens, dryers, or curing boxes, or on storage racks or carts.