Operates or tends machines to prepare industrial or consumer products for storage or shipment. Includes cannery workers who pack food products.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Attaches identification labels to finished packaged items, or cuts stencils and stencil information on containers, such as lot numbers or shipping destinations.
- Sorts, grades, weighs, and inspects products, verifying and adjusting product weight or measurement to meet specifications.
- Stops or resets machines when malfunctions occur, clears machine jams, and reports malfunctions to a supervisor.
- Observes machine operations to ensure quality and conformity of filled or packaged products to standards.
- Removes finished packaged items from machine and separates rejected items.
- Monitors the production line, watching for problems such as pile-ups, jams, or glue that isn't sticking properly.
- Inspects and removes defective products and packaging material.
- Starts machine by engaging controls.
- Tends or operates machine that packages product.
- Cleans, oils, and makes minor adjustments or repairs to machinery and equipment, such as opening valves or setting guides.