Constructs, decorates, or repairs leather and leather-like products, such as luggage, shoes, and saddles.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cuts out parts, following patterns or outlines, using knives, shears, scissors, or machine presses.
- Constructs, decorates, or repairs leather products according to specifications, using sewing machines, needles and thread, leather lacing, glue, clamps, hand tools, or rivets.
- Aligns and stitches or glues materials such as fabric, fleece, leather, or wood, to join parts.
- Dyes, soaks, polishes, paints, stamps, stitches, stains, buffs, or engraves leather or other materials to obtain desired effects, decorations, or shapes.
- Selects materials and patterns, and traces patterns onto materials to be cut out.
- Dresses and otherwise finishes boots or shoes, as by trimming the edges of new soles and heels to the shoe shape.
- Estimates the costs of requested products or services such as custom footwear or footwear repair, and receives payment from customers.
- Attaches insoles to shoe lasts, affixes shoe uppers, and applies heels and outsoles.
- Cements, nails, or sews soles and heels to shoes.
- Shapes shoe heels with a knife, and sands them on a buffing wheel for smoothness.