Sets up, operates, or tends machines to coat or paint any of a wide variety of products, including glassware, cloth, ceramics, metal, plastic, paper, or wood, with lacquer, silver, copper, rubber, varnish, glaze, enamel, oil, or rust-proofing materials.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Selects appropriate coatings, paints, or sprays, or prepares them by mixing substances according to formulas, using automated paint mixing equipment.
- Holds or positions spray guns to direct spray onto articles.
- Fills hoppers, reservoirs, troughs, or pans with material used to coat, paint, or spray, using conveyors or pails.
- Starts and stops operation of machines, using levers or buttons.
- Determines paint flow, viscosity, and coating quality by performing visual inspections, or by using viscometers.
- Attaches hoses or nozzles to machines, using wrenches and pliers, and makes adjustments to obtain the proper dispersion of spray.
- Turns dials, handwheels, valves, or switches to regulate conveyor speeds, machine temperature, air pressure and circulation, and the flow or spray of coatings or paints.
- Observes machine gauges and equipment operation to detect defects or deviations from standards, and makes adjustments as necessary.
- Performs test runs to ensure that equipment is set up properly.
- Cleans machines, related equipment, and work areas, using water, solvents and other cleaning aids.