Installs, programs, maintains, or repairs security or fire alarm wiring and equipment. Ensure that work is in accordance with relevant codes.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Maintenance, Installation and Repair pathway.
A person in this career:
- Installs, maintains, or repairs security systems, alarm devices, or related equipment, following blueprints of electrical layouts and building plans.
- Mounts and fastens control panels, door and window contacts, sensors, or video cameras and attach electrical and telephone wiring to connect components.
- Demonstrates systems for customers and explains details, such as the causes and consequences of false alarms.
- Tests and repairs circuits and sensors, following wiring and system specifications.
- Feeds cables through access holes, roof spaces, or cavity walls to reach fixture outlets, positioning and terminating cables, wires, or strapping.
- Examines systems to locate problems, such as loose connections or broken insulation.
- Tests backup batteries, keypad programming, sirens, or other security features to ensure proper functioning or to diagnose malfunctions.
- Drill holes for wiring in wall studs, joists, ceilings, or floors.
- Inspects installation sites and studies work orders, building plans, and installation manuals to determine materials requirements and installation procedures.
- Consults with clients to assess risks and to determine security requirements.