Implements production processes for nanoscale designs to produce or modify materials, devices, or systems of unique molecular or macromolecular composition. Operates advanced microscopy equipment to manipulate nanoscale objects. Works under the supervision of nanoengineering staff.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Produces images or measurements, using tools or techniques such as atomic force microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, optical microscopy, particle size analysis, or zeta potential analysis.
- Supervises or provides technical direction to technicians engaged in nanotechnology research or production.
- Collaborates with scientists or engineers to design or conduct experiments for the development of nanotechnology materials, components, devices, or systems.
- Collects or compiles nanotechnology research or engineering data.
- Monitors hazardous waste cleanup procedures to ensure proper application of nanocomposites or accomplishment of objectives.
- Contributes written material or data for grant or patent applications.
- Inspects or measures thin films of carbon nanotubes, polymers, or inorganic coatings, using a variety of techniques or analytical tools.
- Mixes raw materials or catalysts to manufacture nanoparticles according to specifications, ensuring proper particle size, shape, or organization.
- Develops or modifies wet chemical or industrial laboratory experimental techniques for nanoscale use.
- Compares the performance or environmental impact of nanomaterials by nanoparticle size, shape, or organization.