Grinds, sands, or polishes, using hand tools or hand-held power tools, a variety of metal, wood, stone, clay, plastic, or glass objects. Includes chippers, buffers, and finishers.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Grinds, sands, cleans, or polishes objects or parts to correct defects or to prepare surfaces for further finishing, using hand tools and power tools.
- Verifies quality of finished workpieces by inspecting them, comparing them to templates, measuring their dimensions, or testing them in working machinery.
- Moves controls to adjust, start, or stop equipment during grinding and polishing processes.
- Removes completed workpieces from equipment or work tables, using hand tools, and places workpieces in containers.
- Measures and marks equipment, objects, or parts to ensure grinding and polishing standards are met.
- Transfers equipment, objects, or parts to specified work areas, using moving devices.
- Trims, scrapes, or deburrs objects or parts, using chisels, scrapers, and other hand tools and equipment.
- Repairs and maintains equipment, objects, or parts, using hand tools.
- Files grooved, contoured, and irregular surfaces of metal objects, such as metalworking dies and machine parts, to conform to templates, other parts, layouts, or blueprint specifications.
- Marks defects, such as knotholes, cracks, and splits, for repair.