Makes or forms wax or sand cores or molds used in the production of metal castings in foundries.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Sifts and packs sand into mold sections, core boxes, and pattern contours, using hand or pneumatic ramming tools.
- Cleans and smooths molds, cores, and core boxes, and repairs surface imperfections.
- Forms and assembles slab cores around patterns, and positions wire in mold sections to reinforce molds, using hand tools and glue.
- Moves and positions workpieces, such as mold sections, patterns, and bottom boards, using cranes, or signals others to move workpieces.
- Sprinkles or sprays parting agents onto patterns and mold sections to facilitate removal of patterns from molds.
- Positions cores into lower sections of molds, and reassembles molds for pouring.
- Tends machines that bond cope and drag together to form completed shell molds.
- Cuts spouts, runner holes, and sprue holes into molds.
- Operates ovens or furnaces to bake cores or to melt, skim, and flux metal.
- Positions patterns inside mold sections, and clamps sections together.