Operates or tends machines to bleach, shrink, wash, dye, or finish textiles or synthetic or glass fibers.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Adds dyes, water, detergents, or chemicals to tanks to dilute or strengthen solutions, according to established formulas and solution test results.
- Notifies supervisors or mechanics of equipment malfunctions.
- Adjusts equipment controls to maintain specified heat, tension, and speed.
- Observes display screens, control panels, equipment, and cloth entering or exiting processes to determine if equipment is operating correctly.
- Prepares dyeing machines for production runs, and conducts test runs of machines to ensure their proper operation.
- Monitors factors such as temperatures and dye flow rates to ensure that they are within specified ranges.
- Starts and controls machines and equipment to wash, bleach, dye, or otherwise process and finish fabric, yarn, thread, or other textile goods.
- Examines and feels products to identify defects and variations from coloring and other processing standards.
- Records production information such as fabric yardage processed, temperature readings, fabric tensions, and machine speeds.
- Tests solutions used to process textile goods to detect variations from standards.