Tests or modifies developmental or operational electrical machinery or electrical control equipment and circuitry in industrial or commercial plants or laboratories. Usually work under direction of engineers or technologists.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Assembles electrical systems or prototypes, using hand tools or measuring instruments.
- Builds, calibrates, maintains, troubleshoots, or repairs electrical instruments or testing equipment.
- Inspects electrical project work for quality control and assurance.
- Identifies solutions to on-site technical design problems involving electrical systems equipment.
- Collaborates with electrical engineers or other personnel to identify, define, or solve developmental problems.
- Sets up or operates test equipment to evaluate performance of developmental parts, assemblies, or systems under simulated operating conditions.
- Reviews existing electrical engineering criteria to identify necessary revisions, deletions, or amendments to outdated material.
- Modifies electrical prototypes, parts, assemblies, or systems to correct functional deviations.
- Prepares, reviews, or coordinates ongoing modifications to contract specifications or plans.
- Builds or tests electrical components of electric-drive vehicles or prototype vehicles.