Draws and constructs sets of precision master fabric patterns or layouts. May also mark and cut fabrics and apparel.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Creates a master pattern for each size within a range of garment sizes, using charts, drafting instruments, computers, or grading devices.
- Inputs specifications into computers to assist with pattern design and pattern cutting.
- Draws details on outlined parts to indicate where parts are to be joined, as well as the positions of pleats, pockets, buttonholes, and other features, using computers or drafting instruments.
- Makes adjustments to patterns after fittings.
- Computes dimensions of patterns according to sizes, considering stretching of material.
- Marks samples and finished patterns with information, such as garment size, section, style, identification, and sewing instructions.
- Draws outlines of pattern parts by adapting or copying existing patterns, or by drafting new patterns.
- Tests patterns by making and fitting sample garments.
- Positions and cuts out master or sample patterns, using scissors and knives, or prints out copies of patterns, using computers.
- Creates a paper pattern from which to mass-produce a design concept.