Sets up, operates, or tends metal or plastic molding, casting, or coremaking machines to mold or cast metal or thermoplastic parts or products.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Measures and visually inspects products for surface and dimension defects to ensure conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
- Observes continuous operation of automatic machines to ensure that products meet specifications and to detect jams or malfunctions, making adjustments as necessary.
- Sets up, operates, or tends metal or plastic molding, casting, or coremaking machines to mold or cast metal or thermoplastic parts or products.
- Turns valves and dials of machines to regulate pressure, temperature, and speed and feed rates, and to set cycle times.
- Reads specifications, blueprints, and work orders to determine setups, temperatures, and time settings required to mold, form, or cast plastic materials, as well as to plan production sequences.
- Observes meters and gauges to verify and record temperatures, pressures, and press-cycle times.
- Connects water hoses to cooling systems of dies, using hand tools.
- Removes parts, such as dies, from machines after production runs are finished.
- Performs maintenance work such as cleaning and oiling machines.
- Smooths and cleans inner surfaces of molds, using brushes, scrapers, air hoses, or grinding wheels, and fills imperfections with refractory material.