Sets up, operates, or tends machines that extrude and form continuous filaments from synthetic materials, such as liquid polymer, rayon, and fiberglass.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Removes excess, entangled, or completed filaments from machines, using hand tools.
- Sets up, operates, or tends machines that extrude and form filaments from synthetic materials such as rayon, fiberglass, or liquid polymers.
- Loads materials into extruding and forming machines, using hand tools, and adjust feed mechanisms to set feed rates.
- Starts metering pumps and observes operation of machines and equipment to ensure continuous flow of filaments extruded through spinnerettes and to detect processing defects.
- Moves controls to activate and adjust extruding and forming machines.
- Records details of machine malfunctions.
- Notifies other workers of defects, and directs them to adjust extruding and forming machines.
- Presses buttons to stop machines when processes are complete or when malfunctions are detected.
- Observes flow of finish across finish rollers, and turns valves to adjust flow to specifications.
- Observes machine operations, control boards, and gauges to detect malfunctions such as clogged bushings and defective binder applicators.