Sets up and operates equipment that mixes or blends ingredients used in the manufacturing of food products. Includes candy makers and cheese makers.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Records production and tests data for each food product batch, such as the ingredients used, temperature, test results, and time cycle.
- Follows recipes to produce food products of specified flavor, texture, clarity, bouquet, or color.
- Sets up, operates, and tends equipment that cooks, mixes, blends, or processes ingredients in the manufacturing of food products, according to formulas or recipes.
- Mixes or blends ingredients, according to recipes, using a paddle or an agitator, or by controlling vats that heat and mix ingredients.
- Cleans and sterilizes vats and factory processing areas.
- Selects and measures or weighs ingredients, using English or metric measures and balance scales.
- Turns valve controls to start equipment and to adjust operation to maintain product quality.
- Presses switches and turns knobs to start, adjust, and regulate equipment, such as beaters, extruders, discharge pipes, and salt pumps.
- Observes gauges and thermometers to determine if the mixing chamber temperature is within specified limits, and turns valves to control the temperature.
- Observes and listens to equipment to detect possible malfunctions, such as leaks or plugging, and reports malfunctions or undesirable tastes to supervisors.