Sets up, operates, or tends grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic work pieces.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects or measures finished workpieces to determine conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as gauges or micrometers.
- Measures workpieces and lays out work, using precision measuring devices.
- Observes machine operations to detect any problems, making necessary adjustments to correct problems.
- Moves machine controls to index workpieces, and to adjust machines for pre-selected operational settings.
- Studies blueprints, work orders, or machining instructions to determine product specifications, tool requirements, and operational sequences.
- Selects machine tooling to be used, using knowledge of machine and production requirements.
- Mounts and positions tools in machine chucks, spindles, or other tool holding devices, using hand tools.
- Activates machine start-up switches to grind, lap, hone, debar, shear, or cut workpieces, according to specifications.
- Sets up, operates, or tends grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic workpieces.
- Sets and adjusts machine controls according to product specifications, using knowledge of machine operation.