Inspects, diagnoses, adjusts, or repairs wind turbines. Performs maintenance on wind turbine equipment including resolving electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic malfunctions.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Maintenance, Installation and Repair pathway.
A person in this career:
- Diagnoses problems involving wind turbine generators or control systems.
- Climbs wind turbine towers to inspect, maintain, or repair equipment.
- Tests electrical components of wind systems with devices such as voltage testers, multimeters, oscilloscopes, infrared testers, or fiber optic equipment.
- Starts or restarts wind turbine generator systems to ensure proper operations.
- Troubleshoots or repairs mechanical, hydraulic, or electrical malfunctions related to variable pitch systems, variable speed control systems, converter systems, or related components.
- Maintains tool and spare parts inventories required for repair, installation, or replacement services.
- Performs routine maintenance on wind turbine equipment, underground transmission systems, wind fields substations, or fiber optic sensing and control systems.
- Tests structures, controls, or mechanical, hydraulic, or electrical systems, according to test plans or in coordination with engineers.
- Collects turbine data for testing or research and analysis.
- Inspects or repairs fiberglass turbine blades.