Assists mechanical engineers in such activities as generation, transmission, or use of mechanical or fluid energy. Prepares layouts of machinery or equipment or plans the flow of work. May conduct statistical studies or analyze production costs.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Interprets engineering sketches, specifications, or drawings.
- Assists engineers to design, develop, test, or manufacture industrial machinery, consumer products, or other equipment.
- Prepares specifications, designs, or sketches for machines, components, or systems related to the generation, transmission, or use of mechanical or fluid energy.
- Designs specialized or customized equipment, machines, or structures.
- Provides technical support to other employees regarding mechanical design, fabrication, testing, or documentation.
- Inspects and tests mechanical equipment.
- Conducts failure analyses, documents results, and recommends corrective actions.
- Assembles or disassembles complex mechanical systems.
- Tests machines, components, materials, or products to determine characteristics such as performance, strength, or response to stress.
- Prepares cost and materials estimates or project schedules.