Monitors and controls activities associated with hydropower generation. Operates plant equipment, such as turbines, pumps, valves, gates, fans, electric control boards, and battery banks. Monitors equipment operation and performance and makes necessary adjustments to ensure optimal performance. Performs equipment maintenance and repair as necessary.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Operates high voltage switches or related devices in hydropower stations.
- Identifies or addresses malfunctions of hydroelectric plant operational equipment, such as generators, transformers, or turbines.
- Inspects water-powered electric generators or auxiliary equipment in hydroelectric plants to verify proper operation or to determine maintenance or repair needs.
- Implements load or switching orders in hydroelectric plants, in accordance with specifications or instructions.
- Starts, adjusts, or stops generating units, operating valves, gates, or auxiliary equipment in hydroelectric power generating plants.
- Performs preventive or corrective containment or cleanup measures in hydroelectric plants to prevent environmental contamination.
- Maintains or repairs hydroelectric plant electrical, mechanical, or electronic equipment, such as motors, transformers, voltage regulators, generators, relays, battery systems, air compressors, sump pumps, gates, or valves.
- Operates hydroelectric plant equipment, such as turbines, pumps, valves, gates, fans, electric control boards, or battery banks.
- Communicates status of hydroelectric operating equipment to dispatchers or supervisors.
- Monitors hydroelectric power plant equipment operation and performance, adjusting to performance specifications, as necessary.