Lays out, machines, fits, and assembles castings and parts to metal or plastic foundry patterns, core boxes, or match plates.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Verifies conformance of patterns or template dimensions to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, scales, and micrometers.
- Sets up and operates machine tools, such as milling machines, lathes, drill presses, and grinders, to machine castings or patterns.
- Repairs and reworks templates and patterns.
- Assembles pattern sections, using hand tools, bolts, screws, rivets, glue, or welding equipment.
- Reads and interprets blueprints or drawings of parts to be cast or patterns to be made, computes dimensions, and plans operational sequences.
- Constructs platforms, fixtures, and jigs for holding and placing patterns.
- Cleans and finishes patterns or templates, using emery cloths, files, scrapers, and power grinders.
- Marks identification numbers or symbols onto patterns or templates.
- Programs computerized numerical control machine tools.
- Creates computer models of patterns or parts, using modeling software.