Uses hand or hand tools to perform routine cutting and trimming of meat, poultry, and seafood.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Uses knives, cleavers, meat saws, bandsaws, or other equipment to perform meat cutting and trimming.
- Weighs meats and tags containers for weight and contents.
- Inspects meat products for defects, bruises or blemishes and removes them along with any excess fat.
- Cuts and trims meat to prepare for packing.
- Separates meats and byproducts into specified containers and seals containers.
- Processes primal parts into cuts that are ready for retail use.
- Prepares ready-to-heat foods by filleting meat or fish or cutting it into bite-sized pieces, preparing and adding vegetables or applying sauces or breading.
- Cleans, trims, slices, and sections carcasses for future processing.
- Removes parts, such as skin, feathers, scales or bones, from carcass.
- Prepares sausages, luncheon meats, hot dogs, and other fabricated meat products, using meat trimmings and hamburger meat.