Constructs and repairs full or partial dentures or dental appliances.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reads prescriptions or specifications and examines models or impressions to determine the design of dental products to be constructed.
- Tests appliances for conformance to specifications and accuracy of occlusion, using articulators and micrometers.
- Melts metals or mix plaster, porcelain, or acrylic pastes and pours materials into molds or over frameworks to form dental prostheses or apparatus.
- Creates a model of patient's mouth by pouring plaster into a dental impression and allowing plaster to set.
- Places tooth models on apparatus that mimics bite and movement of patient's jaw to evaluate functionality of model.
- Fabricates, alters, or repairs dental devices, such as dentures, crowns, bridges, inlays, or appliances for straightening teeth.
- Removes excess metal or porcelain and polishes surfaces of prostheses or frameworks, using polishing machines.
- Applies porcelain paste or wax over prosthesis frameworks or setups, using brushes and spatulas.
- Prepares metal surfaces for bonding with porcelain to create artificial teeth, using small hand tools.
- Loads newly constructed teeth into porcelain furnaces to bake the porcelain onto the metal framework.