Shapes molten glass according to patterns.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Heats glass to pliable stage, using gas flames or ovens and rotating glass to heat it uniformly.
- Inspects, weighs, and measures products to verify conformance to specifications, using instruments such as micrometers, calipers, magnifiers, or rulers.
- Records manufacturing information, such as quantities, sizes, or types of goods produced.
- Places glass into dies or molds of presses and controls presses to form products, such as glassware components or optical blanks.
- Sprays or swabs molds with oil solutions to prevent adhesion of glass.
- Blows tubing into specified shapes to prevent glass from collapsing, using compressed air or own breath, or blows and rotates gathers in molds or on boards to obtain final shapes.
- Operates electric kilns that heat and mold glass sheets to the shape and curve of metal jigs.
- Determines types and quantities of glass required to fabricate products.
- Sets up and adjusts machine press stroke lengths and pressures and regulates oven temperatures, according to glass types to be processed.
- Shapes, bends, or joins sections of glass, using paddles, pressing and flattening hand tools, or cork.