Assembles or modifies electromechanical equipment or devices, such as servomechanisms, gyros, dynamometers, magnetic drums, tape drives, brakes, control linkage, actuators, and appliances.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects, tests, and adjusts completed units to ensure that units meet specifications, tolerances, and customer order requirements.
- Positions, aligns, and adjusts parts for proper fit and assembly.
- Assembles parts or units, and positions, aligns, and fastens units to assemblies, subassemblies, or frames, using hand tools and power tools.
- Connects cables, tubes, and wiring, according to specifications.
- Measures parts to determine tolerances, using precision measuring instruments such as micrometers, calipers, and verniers.
- Reads blueprints and specifications to determine component parts and assembly sequences of electromechanical units.
- Attaches name plates and marks identifying information on parts.
- Disassembles units to replace parts or to crate them for shipping.
- Files, laps, and buffs parts to fit, using hand and power tools.
- Cleans and lubricates parts and subassemblies, using grease paddles or oilcans.