Sets up, operates, or tends machines to extrude or draw thermoplastic or metal materials into tubes, rods, hoses, wire, bars, or structural shapes.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Measures and examines extruded products to locate defects and to check for conformance to specifications, adjusting controls as necessary to alter products.
- Determines setup procedures and selects machine dies and parts, according to specifications.
- Starts machines and sets controls to regulate vacuum, air pressure, sizing rings, and temperature, and to synchronize speed of extrusion.
- Reels extruded products into rolls of specified lengths and weights.
- Installs dies, machine screws, and sizing rings on machines that extrude thermoplastic or metal materials.
- Changes dies on extruding machines according to production line changes.
- Cleans work areas.
- Troubleshoots, maintains, and makes minor repairs to equipment.
- Weighs and mixes pelletized, granular, or powdered thermoplastic materials and coloring pigments.
- Tests physical properties of products with testing devices such as acid-bath testers, burst testers, and impact testers.