Cuts, trims, or prepares consumer-sized portions of meat for use or sale in retail establishments.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares and places meat cuts and products in display counter, so they will appear attractive and catch the shopper's eye.
- Wraps, weighs, labels, and prices cuts of meat.
- Cuts, trims, bones, ties, and grinds meats, such as beef, pork, poultry, and fish, to prepare meat in cooking form.
- Prepares special cuts of meat ordered by customers.
- Receives, inspects, and stores meat upon delivery, to ensure meat quality.
- Estimates requirements and orders or requisitions meat supplies to maintain inventories.
- Shapes, laces, and ties roasts, using boning knife, skewer, and twine.
- Totals sales, and collects money from customers.
- Records quantity of meat received and issued to cooks or keeps records of meat sales.
- Supervises other butchers or meat cutters.