Sets up, operates, or tends continuous flow or vat-type equipment; filter presses; shaker screens; centrifuges; condenser tubes; precipitating, fermenting, or evaporating tanks; scrubbing towers; or batch stills. These machines extract, sort, or separate liquids, gases, or solids from other materials to recover a refined product. Includes dairy processing equipment operators.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Dumps, pours, or loads specified amounts of refined or unrefined materials into equipment or containers for further processing or storage.
- Operates machines to process materials in compliance with applicable safety, energy, or environmental regulations.
- Monitors material flow or instruments such as temperature or pressure gauges, indicators, or meters to ensure optimal processing conditions.
- Turns valves or moves controls to admit, drain, separate, filter, clarify, mix, or transfer materials.
- Sets up or adjusts machine controls to regulate conditions such as material flow, temperature, or pressure.
- Examines samples to verify qualities such as clarity, cleanliness, consistency, dryness, or texture.
- Starts agitators, shakers, conveyors, pumps, or centrifuge machines.
- Inspects machines or equipment for hazards, operating efficiency, malfunctions, wear, or leaks.
- Collects samples of materials or products for laboratory analysis.
- Communicates processing instructions to other workers.