Operates or tends equipment, such as cooling and freezing units, refrigerators, batch freezers, and freezing tunnels, to cool or freeze products, food, blood plasma, and chemicals.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Records temperatures, amounts of materials processed, or test results on report forms.
- Monitors pressure gauges, ammeters, flowmeters, thermometers, or products, and adjusts controls to maintain specified conditions, such as feed rate, product consistency, temperature, air pressure, and machine speed.
- Reads dials and gauges on panel control boards to ascertain temperatures, alkalinities, and densities of mixtures, and turns valves to obtain specified mixtures.
- Starts machinery, such as pumps, feeders, or conveyors, and turns valves to heat, admit, or transfer products, refrigerants, or mixes.
- Corrects machinery malfunctions by performing actions such as removing jams, and informs supervisors of malfunctions as necessary.
- Assembles equipment, and attaches pipes, fittings, or valves, using hand tools.
- Measures or weighs specified amounts of ingredients or materials, and loads them into tanks, vats, hoppers, or other equipment.
- Adjusts machine or freezer speed and air intake to obtain desired consistency and amount of product.
- Weighs packages and adjusts freezer air valves or switches on filler heads to obtain specified amounts of product in each container.
- Inspects and flushes lines with solutions or steam, and sprays equipment with sterilizing solutions.