Sets up, operates, or tends machines to crush, grind, or polish materials, such as coal, glass, grain, stone, food, or rubber.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Observes operation of equipment to ensure continuity of flow, safety, and efficient operation, and to detect malfunctions.
- Examines materials, ingredients, or products, visually or with hands, to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Moves controls to start, stop, or adjust machinery and equipment that crushes, grinds, polishes, or blends materials.
- Cleans, adjusts, and maintains equipment, using hand tools.
- Weighs or measures materials, ingredients, or products at specified intervals to ensure conformance to requirements.
- Reads work orders to determine production specifications and information.
- Dislodges and clears jammed materials or other items from machinery and equipment, using hand tools.
- Tends accessory equipment, such as pumps and conveyors, to move materials or ingredients through production processes.
- Records data from operations, testing, and production on specified forms.
- Loads materials into machinery and equipment, using hand tools.